Location: Midlands (Flexibility to work at different PKF Smith Cooper Midlands offices with some travel to clients)
Are you looking for an employer that will invest in you and reward hard work? With us, you’ll benefit from involvement from the firm’s partners, who will take a direct interest in your development and support you to succeed.
How about an inspiring company culture, productive work environment and regular social events including annual company-wide summer socials, departmental social events, access to sports teams, walking challenges, and our newest book club to name but a few?
If you have experience of working in the area of Employment Tax, we want to hear from you!
An exciting opportunity for an employment tax specialist has arisen to join the team at PKF Smith Cooper. You will be a key member of our expanding Employment Tax team and will assist the Head of Employment Tax to further develop and deliver Employment Tax Services across the firm, working with clients in a range of industries.
Your role will also include the supervision of junior members of the employment tax team, and you will be expected to play a key role in their development.
The important work you will be:
Your day-to-day duties and key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following;
- Supporting the development of Employment Tax Services to clients which will include advising clients on all aspects of employment tax compliance issues and queries, carrying out a range of compliance risk reviews and preparing reports of recommendations, carrying out the manager review of the PSA submissions, supporting clients with HMRC Inspections, making disclosures to HMRC, and advising on salary sacrifice arrangements.
- Building strong client and cross team relationships to ensure our clients receive the highest standard of service.
- Support the Head of Employment Tax on business development initiatives and new opportunities, including hosting and presenting at seminars, drafting proposals, and participating in bids/pitches.
- Supporting the Head of Employment Tax with identifying potential risks, technical issues and developing practical solutions to changes in technical legislation.
- Reviewing the work prepared by junior members of the team and assisting with their development and progression within the firm.
- Assist with billing and financial management processes.
The skills and experience you will bring:
A deep working knowledge and practical application in assisting clients with all areas of Employment Tax including:
- Treatment of expenses and reporting of benefits.
- Drafting and advising on PSA applications and calculations.
- IR35 off payroll working and employment status issues.
- Treatment of termination payments.
- Practical operation of Construction Industry Scheme.
- Helping clients evidence their compliance of National Minimum Wage legislation.
- Reviewing CJRS furlough claims to verify accuracy of claims made.
- Implementing and advising on salary sacrifice arrangements.
- Experience of assisting clients with HMRC Employer Compliance Inspections, National Minimum Wage Inspections and CJRS Furlough Inspections.
- Understanding and knowledge of relevant HMRC practice and legislation to provide clear, practical, technical advice to clients as required
- The ability to multitask, to work to deadlines, to be able to prioritise workloads and be a strong team player
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Confidence in a client facing role and working with people of all levels
- Motivation to provide the highest quality service to clients
Car and driving licence are required for travel to client sites.
Why PKF Smith Cooper?
- Our company culture, built on our values – Engage, Empower and Excel – encourages initiative, personal growth, and collaboration. Every team member is appreciated and celebrated; a notion embodied in our Kudos Reward Scheme.
- The firm’s Partners, who remain actively invested in the development of employees, will both support and champion your professional development and progression.
- We work with ambitious businesses of different sizes across a variety of sectors, so no two jobs are the same.
- We are a multi-award-winning accountancy and business advisory firm in the Accountancy Age Top 11.
As an active member of PKF International, we are part of a large global network of legally independent accounting firms.
Located in the 5 fastest growing global markets, we have ground presence in 150 countries and span across many jurisdictions.
An ambitious, future-focused network, PKF provides a comprehensive range of services. Operating in unison with member firms across the world, we are able to share our ideas, expertise, and specialist resources to better serve our clients, delivering highly-personalised services and global connectivity through our client-centric culture.
What's in it for you?
Our benefits package has been designed around our people and shaped by our values. As part of Team PKF Smith Cooper, here are some of the things you can expect:
- A working environment that empowers you to perform at your best, through our flexible working policy and dress for your diary scheme.
- Time to do what matters to you – 25 days annual leave plus statutory bank holidays, the option to reduce annual hours for additional annual leave, and your birthday off, on us. Long-serving employees can also request a sabbatical, giving you the chance to make truly unforgettable memories.
- Rewards for those who actively embrace and embody our values and culture through our Kudos Reward Scheme.
- Regular social events and annual, company-wide away days, giving you the opportunity to engage with colleagues across your division and office, as well as the wider firm.
- Bonus referral schemes for introducing new talent or clients so that when we benefit, you do too
- Life doesn’t stop at the end of the working day and neither do our benefits. We also offer life assurance, discounts on a huge variety of retailers through the PKF Smith Cooper Rewards Scheme, and cashback on healthcare (including dental visits, physiotherapy etc) through Healthshield.
How to apply?
Apply now if you believe you have what we are looking for! Even if you do not tick 100% of the boxes, we would encourage you to apply. To do so, please upload a copy of your CV and a covering letter to our job portal.
Should you have any questions, please contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that whilst we welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for our vacancies, we are unfortunately unable to accept applications from candidates requiring a visa to work in the UK.